Friday, June 17, 2011

S-H-O-T-S

This was probably the first word that I ever learned how to spell. My pediatrician came in to the room one day and said he would be back with a S-H-O and I started screaming. He didn't have to finish, I knew what was coming. I have always had a crazy fear of needles, and so does JT, so I can't imagine that Will is going to be very tolerant of shots.

Today we went to Will's pediatrician for his 2-month well check-up and first round of immunizations. He is growing, growing, growing! He flirted with the nurse, talking to her the whole time. She kept commenting on how much he looks like a little man because he has such grown up features. His weight, height, and head circumference were all right on track. He has gained 4 pounds and grown 3 inches since birth. He got a great report on everything, then it was time for the dreaded shots.

The nurse came in with 3 injections and 1 liquid. He got the liquid first which made him pretty happy. Then I held his hands and got close to his face and told him not to look at what she was doing! It took a couple of seconds, then his face got a look of panic, chin started quivering, and the screaming and crying began. Poor baby! The tears were heartbreaking! He got 2 shots in one leg and one in the other. The nurse was so fast so that it was over in just a few seconds. I got him him ready to leave, and he was asleep before we even got in the car.

He was pretty fussy in the afternoon because he just couldn't seem to get comfortable, but in the evening he became his normal self again. So I guess I can say that it went pretty well. And with the way I always acted when I got shots, I guess I can't be too hard on Will if he freaks out every time he gets a shot.

1 comment:

  1. The first shots are the worst! Sounds like you made it through just fine :)

    ReplyDelete