Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pregnancy - I might actually miss this...

I've said it many times before, but this has been the fastest 9 months ever! I can not believe I am at my due date. When I went to the doctor last week, the nurse asked "Are you tired of being pregnant?" When I really think about it, I'm really not. It has been such a fun time in my life. Of course I can't wait to meet Baby Livezey, but I really have enjoyed being pregnant. Since I am still not miserable, I thought now would be a good time to look back on the past several months and remember what all I have enjoyed. (If I become miserable and then try to write this post, I probably won't have anything good to say.)

I took a pregnancy test at the end of July for the sole purpose of proving that I was not pregnant so that I could call my Crohn's doctor and tell him that I needed to start back on medicine (which I wouldn't be able to take if pregnant). I didn't even look at the test until about 10 minutes later and was SHOCKED to see "Pregnant" so clearly on it. Even though I know you don't get false-positives on pregnancy tests, I couldn't believe it. So I told Maggie to get in the car so I could go to the store to get another one. Positive again, so then I had to wait for JT to get a couple of hours later so I could tell him. I tried to come up with some cute way to tell him, but I couldn't stand it and told him when he walked in the door. Telling family and friends was definitely the most fun! What an exciting time in our lives! Family was of course ecstatic, but JT and I were both overwhelmed by the excitement of our friends. We are so lucky to be surrounded by such great people!

So just a little recap over the past 9 months...things I've liked and disliked, things I've had to give up, and what I'm looking forward to. I know this isn't interesting to probably anyone but me, but I want to remember this time in my life.

Morning sickness - This didn't really apply to me. I had NIGHT sickness from about weeks 8-13, which I guess is better than the alternative. Luckily I was never sick at work. I would get home at night and get in bed, and within 5 minutes I was laying in the bathroom floor telling JT that I was pretty sure this baby didn't like me. It wasn't every night, but most of them. And there was definitely a pattern where I was sick every Saturday night which I finally realized was caused by sugar. Cupcakes, cookies, etc. were not my friend!

Acne - I can't use my usual face medicine while pregnant, so my skin has gone crazy! Emily says this means that Baby Livezey is a boy - we'll see.

Heartburn - Yikes! This is seriously annoying. But I've always heard heartburn means the baby has hair, and that I am hoping for! I didn't have any hair until I was 2 years old. At my 32 week ultrasound the technician said she could see lots of hair, so I will continue suffering through this. TUMS have been my best friend, and my body is getting more calcium than ever before!

Swelling - This has been my latest issue and probably the worst for me. It is really only in my feet, legs, and hands thank goodness. I have cankles and I can't wear any of my shoes - UGH! Luckily the weather has been decent so I don't look to super crazy wearing flip-flops. Flip-flops are not very supportive though and are not good for standing for 12 hours while at work. I can't wear my rings anymore which really bothers me - I always wear my wedding rings and I feel so weird without them. I tried to wear them as long as I could, but JT finally convinced me to take them off and put them up. (I still check on them daily to make sure that they are where I left them...I am afraid JT is going to run off and sell them!) Luckily my grandmother has a ring that looks just like my engagement ring, but it is bigger than my normal ring size. Now I can wear it!

Turkey sandwich - Jersey Mike's #7 on white with cheese and mayo only. Oh my goodness, I can taste it now! JT has specific instructions to make sure that I get this before leaving the hospital. You aren't supposed to have deli meat while pregnant because of listeria and possible food poisoning. (On a side note, it really surprises me that I was so willing to give up my turkey sandwich, but I refused to give up my Dr. Pepper thanks to a new study that says caffeine is not a problem in pregnancy. I did cut back so I didn't drink it daily.) I have broken down a few times and had a sandwich, but I had to heat it up in the microwave, and it just isn't the same.

Zumba - I can not wait to get back to my Zumba workout!!!! I think I did pretty good going as long as I did. I made it to 32 weeks, and then decided that the room was getting really crowded and I was afraid I might trip and fall. Also, I can't wear tennis shoes now and dancing in my flip-flops is probably not the best idea.

Mood Swings - You'll have to ask JT privately to tell you the truth about this, but I really don't think I had a problem with this. JT agrees with me (to my face), but he may feel like he has to say that! I know I got a little less patient at work and didn't handle stupidity with a smile on my face like I normally do. I never got upset with anyone, but I could tell that I got annoyed a little quicker than normal. I haven't had the emotional breakdowns yet either. I'm wondering if all of this is headed my way after the baby gets here.

Cravings - Never had them! And I was so hoping that I would crave tomatoes and all of the other foods that I won't eat. I figured if there was ever a time in my life that I was going to get out of my picky eating habits, this would be it. No such luck! I have lived off of apples and ginger ale, but I never had a fierce craving for them, that is just what I like to have consistently everyday. I haven't sent JT to the store in the middle of night for anything crazy - I feel like maybe I should come up with something just for fun because that is what husbands are supposed to do for pregnant wives, and I would hate for JT to miss out this fun!

And of course what I'm looking forward to the most is finally meeting Baby Livezey!

No comments:

Post a Comment