Monday, April 25, 2011

It's a BOY!!!!!

William Clark Livezey was born April 15th at 7:40 AM. He weighed 8 lbs and 10.7 oz and was 20 inches long. He has a head full of dark hair. He is absolutely perfect in every way!

My due date was April 10th, and on April 12th I went for my weekly doctor visit only to find out that I had not progressed at all in the past 3 weeks. The baby hadn't even dropped yet. Dr. Crowe sat down with me and said there was probably a reason things weren't going forward, and there was an 80% chance that I would have to have a c-section. She was willing to induce me if I wanted but I needed to be prepared that we would still most likely end with a c-section after laboring for hours, or we could just schedule a c-section. I just couldn't make the decision right then, so we planned to come in on the 15th and get an ultrasound to check baby's weight and see if there were any issues that could be seen. I left the office, got in my car, called JT and started crying. For the first time in 9 months, I was having a breakdown. JT was of course amazingly supportive and said he would be OK with whichever way I was most comfortable with. I called several friends and asked their opinions and decided to sleep on it. The next day I had come to the conclusion that if I wasn't dilating and wasn't having any contractions then I needed to schedule to c-section. I called the nurse and asked if there was any availability for the rest of the week and she said Dr. Crowe could do it Friday morning.

Thursday night JT and I went to dinner and enjoyed our last night together with just us. We came home and repacked our hospital bags. JT took one last picture of my baby bump.
I was so emotionally exhausted that I was sound asleep as soon as I went to bed at 10:30...and then at midnight I woke up and could not go back to sleep. JT and I joked that my inablility to sleep lately is all just preparation for what was about to come. We got up and were at the hospital at 5:30. JT was a little diappointed that we weren't driving like maniacs down the interstate in a rush to get to the hospital, although he did turn on the emergency flashers for a few seconds just for fun. He was also sad that he didn't get to time contractions that he was so prepared for. We got all checked in and then the preparation began. It was all so calm - like we went to a drive-thru and ordered a baby.


Dr. Crowe came in about 7:10 (early, just like the nurses said she would be) ready to get started. She said we should have this baby by 7:40. Off we went to the operating room. JT had to sit outside for about 15 minutes while I was getting my epidural. He said it felt like hours to him! Once I was all set, they let him come in and sit beside me. Everyone was so excited that we didn't know if Baby Livezey was a boy or a girl, and Dr. Crowe said JT could make the announcement to me. I remember hearing a little baby sound (not crying) when they got the baby's head out. Dr. Crowe said that the cord was wrapped around the neck twice and the c-section would have been the only way to go. At exactly 7:40, Dr. Crowe told JT to look over and he said "It's a BOY!". Now the baby was crying and the nurses took him to the scale. JT got to go with him and take pictures while I was being put back together. He scored a 9 on the APGAR test - perfect!

He got all cleaned up and JT brought him over to me. Here is our first family photo.


I had to go to the recovery room for 2-3 hours. I couldn't leave there until I could move my feet and legs. Julia was my nurse and she was amazing. JT sat beside me holding Will and we just stared at him. After about 15 minutes, JT decided he should probably go out and tell our parents that Will was here. What a fun time - I wish I could have seen that moment!

What an amazing day! We are so blessed to have our healthy baby boy!

1 comment: