Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How do I know if Will has a fever?

Just one of the questions that I ask every "mom" friend. The answer is always the same..."You'll Know!!!" Will has felt a little warm before but nothing like anyone has ever described (being hot from head to toe).

Yesterday Will had his 6 month shots plus a flu shot. He was running a low-grade fever of 100.5 in the evening (which is expected from shots), and I could tell just by touching his head. I was proud of my mommy instinct! I gave him some Tylenol and he played like normal until bedtime. At 11:30 he was SCREAMING! I went to get him and I when I picked him up I instantly realized what everyone had been talking about - I kissed his head and he didn't feel warm, he was HOT! Sure enough his temperature was 102.5. He was screaming as I was trying to get him dressed and this woke JT up. We were both panicked so we decided to be the classic example of a new parent and called the doctor in the middle of the night. To our surprise, the doctor answered the phone...no leaving a message and waiting for someone to call me back, no nurse triage, the actual doctor on call! I told her I couldn't remember what the temperature was that I should be concerned about and she said 104 or his temp now if Tylenol couldn't get it down. I had just given him the medicine so we had to wait and see. Just like old times, we paced the house and sang to him. After about 45 minutes he was cool and calm so we put him back in his crib and he slept the rest of the night.

What a helpless feeling! I know this is the first of many fevers. I know it will be worse when he is actually sick. He woke up happy and with some crazy hair! Apparently he sweat that fever out through his head - it was to cute to try to brush it out.

So glad that you are feeling better Will! Mommy and Daddy will always wish that we could transfer your pain to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment