Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mother's Day Out

Our neighbor Karen (aka "Momma Karen" to me, JT, and Maggie and "KeeKee" to Will) teaches the 2 year old class at a church close to our neighborhood. I promised that I would send Will there when he was old enough to be in her class. Since he has so much separation anxiety and needs some socialization with other kids, we decided to go ahead and send him now to the 1 year old class. It is on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9:30-2:30. JT and I talked about it and decided that 1 day a week should be good enough for him. (I didn't want him to go both days because if those were my days off and he was in school, then I wouldn't have any time with him that week.)

Today was Will's first day. I packed up his puppy dog lunch box and dressed him as cute as I could. I expected there to be a lot of crying, so I figured he should look cute if he wasn't going to act very well.

We got to his class room and met his teachers Brenda and Denise. There are 7 other kids in his class. Will and I played with some toys that he liked and he kind of cried and played at the same time. I decided to make my escape when he calmed down. I made a bad decision and gave him a hug which got him crying again. Next time I know to just sneak out without saying goodbye!

I didn't look through the class windows....I just walked straight to my car and started crying. I have no idea why! I didn't cry when I left him to go back to the work the first day, but I guess he is my little companion now and I don't know how to get through my day without him.

The 5 hours went by fast, but it also felt like the longest 5 hours ever! I went to Zumba, ate lunch, took a shower, and went to the grocery store. It was nice to take a shower without trying to keep an eye on him too. And I got through the grocery store fast without him, but it wasn't as much fun. Maggie moped around all morning. She won't admit it, but she was missing the little guy driving her crazy! I went to pick him up and saw Karen. She said he got really attached to Brenda and had a great day. Yay Will! He ran to me when he saw me, and I almost started crying again. Brenda said he played, held hands with a little girl in his class, and only cried for the first few minutes. He didn't nap, but I don't think any of the kids did. She said they all just laid there smiling. Will has never shared a room with anyone before so I am sure he was so interested in all of them.

All in all it was a great day. I am so glad that we are starting him in this program, I think it will be good for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment